Monday, September 10, 2012

Mini Wedge Salad with Homemade Ranch Dressing


I first discovered a wedge salad at a fine-dining restaurant where my boyfriend and I celebrated our two-year anniversary. I recalled the first thought that crossed my mind was that it was a lazy way out of making a "real" salad however reality sunk in as soon as I took a bite. The crunchiness of the iceberg lettuce and condiments with creamy dressing sealed the deal for me. I now could say that I appreciate the imagination and creativity of turning a salad into something unrecognizable and simply delectable to make. 

 

Serves 2

 Ingredients: 

  • 1 head of iceberg lettuce
  • 1 roma tomato
  • 2-3 slices bacon, cooked crispy and crumbled 
  • ranch dressing (recipe below) 

Dressing:

  • 1/2 cup of non-fat plain Greek yogurt
  • 1/3 cup buttermilk (or 1/4 cup of milk and 2 tbsp. of vinegar)
  • 1/4 cup low-fat mayonnaise
  • 1 clove garlic (pressed) 
  • 1 tbsp. of honey
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1 tsp. black pepper

Instructions:

Slice the head of lettuce in half. Remove the core by cutting diagonally around it and cut each half into three wedges.  Drizzle with ranch dressing and sprinkle with bacon bits, diced tomatoes, and more dressing if desired.

To make the dressing: In a small bowl, mix all ingredients until well blended. Season to taste with salt and pepper.


 



No comments:

Post a Comment